The History of St Mark's and All Saints' Parish Halls
Along with St Luke’s, there are two sister churches in Toowoomba with long and varied histories. Find out more about these historic places of worship by reading the information below. You can contact us to find out more about current events, services and church activities.
Stained Glass and Virtual tour
Explore The History Of St. Mark's
‘In the Power of the Holy Spirit to Make Jesus Known.’
As has happened in other areas, the first Anglican presence in the Rangeville area took the form of a Sunday School. This was in the 1920s and the school continued until 1939. It recommenced in 1958, meeting first in the State School and then in the Scouts’ Den.
At Eastertide 1958, Captain Roy Buckingham of the Church Army, with the help of his wife, conducted a series of missions within the parish. The interest sparked by this mission led to the purchase of land and the first celebration of Holy Communion by Canon Ward at Rangeville on 13 April 1958. The need for an adequate building on the site became paramount and the parish bought the Christadelphian Church building standing in Herries Street opposite St Luke’s rectory.
Rangeville was provided with a hall well-suited, at least for the time being, for housing the Sunday School and providing for the regular Sunday service. The vision of a new church building remained and at a meeting of St Mark’s parishioners in June 1969 it was agreed to open a building fund and press ahead with plans.
Towards the end of 1965, Archbishop Strong gave approval for the congregation “to select a name” and “St Mark the Evangelist” was chosen. Final plans and specifications were ready by January 1970. The new church building was complete by August and the service of dedication was conducted by Bishop Hudson on 27 September 1970. St Mark’s was consecrated by Bishop Ralph Wicks on 29 August, 1976.
1966 To Today
Soon after Canon Lupton’s induction in 1966, the future of the All Saints’ building came under discussion. Instead of constructing a new church, the existing building was moved closer to the street and a hall was built at the rear. The various additions to the little building of 1888 have perpetuated the architecture of the period – a simple wooden building but with lancet-type windows and internal pillars and arches – a really delightful Victorian pseudo-gothic structure with furnishings to match, but in the 19th century Australian idiom.
– A History of St Luke’s by Max Brightman